Farmer’s Market Farro Salad
Posted on October 8, 2020
Leave a Comment
- 3 cups farro
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 large beets and greens, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon fennel herb, chopped and/or 1/2 cup fennel root, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves or 1/4 cup garlic curls, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided, more to taste
- 4 to 6 ounces crumbled feta; I used Marianne’s raw goat milk feta
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs like basil, oregano, mint, sage, and parsley
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds or pine), toasted
- Combine the beets, greens, garlic, onion and fennel or other fresh herbs with 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Spread on a baking sheet, and roast in a hot oven (400 F) until beets are soft.
- In the meantime, bring chicken stock to a boil in a Dutch oven or large pot.
- Add farro and cook until soft, about 45 minutes.
- Let sit ten minutes to fluff, and then drain any remaining liquid.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper, and fresh herbs.
- In a serving bowl, combine the farro with the roasted beet mixture, vinaigrette and cheese. Top with roasted nuts and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Variations: Substitute kale or braising greens for the beet greens. Blue cheese, especially Sapphire Blue from Teton Valley Creamery, would also be a great addition.